Thursday, August 27, 2009

I WOULD BE ALL THINGS TO ALL SO THAT I. . .

I have decided on a life scripture. I found, some time back, that my great-aunt who was a missionary to India, had a "life scripture." I don't remember what it was, but it made me wonder what mine might be, or if that is an appropriate thing to do. I had thought of other scriptures and thought that they were it; but the other day I reallized how important that scripture of Paul's (see above) is to me.

It went like this: The religion section of the Houston Chronicle had an article about how muslims were intending to be more observant than usual in order to honor the month of Ramadan. One aspect was that women (in US?) who don't usually wear the scarf of the muslims will wear it at this time. That reminded me of how my heart goes out to the muslims who are trying to honor God, and that the Christian Church's refusal to acknowledge that there IS something about that in the NEW TESTAMENT is a man-made obstacle to the muslims that God did not put.

(Just as an aside, I think that the word for the religious laws of the muslims is "sharia". I wonder if that is another word which comes from the root of "shar" in the hebrew language, which means remnant. Sharia is a way that a group distinguishs itself- separating itself from the surrounding culture. See my earlier blog post called FUN WITH WORDS.)

We need to do what we can to bring others TO God, especially those who are seeking Him, in what ever confused a way that may be.

So that is my life verse. Now I must go find it so I can write it here accurately, and give you the address.

The verse is I CORINTHIANS 9:22b.

1 Comments:

At August 28, 2009 at 9:00 PM , Blogger rethinking 1776 said...

I found the verse. It is at First Corinthians 9:22b
"I have become all things to all (men) so that by all possible means I might save some."
Next verse is "I do all this for the sake of the Gospel, that I might share in its blessings."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home